Electromagnetics and Wireless Commmunications for Biomedical Applications
The module provides an insight into current and future electromagnetic methods in biomedical engineering with regard to radio and sensor technology. First, the field theory of electromagnetic fields in and around the human body is discussed. Subsequently, the properties of suitable radio systems are discussed. Finally, the basics are used to plan sample systems. The following topics are dealt with:
- Theory of electromagnetic fields in the human body
- Properties of suitable radio systems
- Current radio applications (e.g., implants)
- Current EM sensor technology
- Analytical models for EM wave propagation in / on the body
- Linkbudget estimates.
The lecture covers a general field-theoretical description of current practical antenna applications in communication and sensor technology.